Thursday, May 6, 2010

Next Lisps

I'm a sucker for articles mentioning "the next Lisp". I just read Mark Tarver's, and I thought I'd jot down some quick notes. Not to be taken too seriously, but still.

Quotes are from The Next Lisp: Back to the Future.

Recursion as the primary mean of expressing procedure calling.

Recursion is highly overrated. When I call MAP, I don't care whether that's implemented using recursion or gotos. Also, recursion will blow the stack. :P And for some good old appeal to authority: Guy Steele says that we have to get rid of the accumulator idiom, and I heartily agree.

Heterogenous lists as the way of composing and dissecting complex data.

I'd much rather use real data structures, like java.util's List, Set, Map, and TreeMap. They seem to work great for about 99% of my data structure needs. The cons is a relic.

Programs as data.

Code is more than data.

The drive was to make [Common Lisp] compatible with the previous dialects and the easiest way was to union these features together.

Agreed. CL's kernel could be a bit smaller, without losing any cool.

The Common Lisp community has tried to deal with this through libraries. But these libraries are unsupported, and either undocumented or poorly so.

Agreed. The next Lisp has to attach itself to another platform. I root for GNU/Linux. Using the JVM means mixing business and pleasure way too much.

It’s a great language but it doesn’t look great.

I don't think Lisp can be made to look great, and I don't think it matters. Clojure seems to try this, and it's even more butt-ugly than CL.

For example, nearly every other newbie who hits CL for the first time complains about the brackets. And when they do they are told to shut up because they don't understand Lisp.

Until we have generalized 2D hypercode, the parentheses are the only sane, rational thing to do, in the ugly reality of a universe built on plain-text files.

Python is not new; its just a sugaring on the Lisp genotype in favour of a syntax that people feel comfortable with. And look how far that idea went.

%#$^#@$@$^#$%#@^@^!!!???

IMO, Python is farther away from the Lisp genotype than Java. At least Java has post-1980's scoping rules.

Also, except for popularity, Python didn't go anywhere as a language.

2 comments:

fogus said...

I'm enjoying your blog so far, even though I get the impression that my leg is being pulled at times. ;-) It's definitely hard to dispute that the specific Clojure code linked to is ugly, but I will say that's it's not representative of the entire look and feel. The annotation support, for better or worse, is a necessity given that Clojure strives to interoperate with Java. Many of the interop forms are less than ideal simply because they require a lot of Java's semantics to taint the pool -- so to speak. Thankfully, the division between interop forms and pure Clojure is very clear and generally allow the ugly bits to be hidden away or outright avoided.
:f

mquander said...

I strongly agree with fogus. That isn't really representative of the bulk of Clojure code, which I find quite attractive, and it does a good job of letting you separate the "ugly" interop bits from the "nice" functional Clojure bits.